The VCU Educational Opportunity Center is open to individuals living in the city of Richmond or eastern Henrico County who:
- Demonstrate a need for services provided by the center
- Meet low-income and potential first-generation college student requirements as defined by federal regulations
- Are a citizen or national of the U.S. or a permanent resident of the U.S.; or are in the U.S. for a non-temporary purpose and provide evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of intent to become a permanent resident and are a permanent resident of Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands or the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (Palau); or are a resident of the Freely Associated States — the Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Are at least 19 years old, or if less than 19, not appropriately served by a TRiO Talent Search program
- Express a desire to enroll or are enrolled in a program of postsecondary education and request information or assistance in applying for admission to or financial aid for such a program
Veterans of any age are eligible to participate if the eligibility requirement of citizenship is met.